The patent docketing process is at the very core of patent management at any patent law firm and research companies. Moreover, what required is an overall smooth docketing system without glitches. Since the patent process generates a great deal of paperwork. As soon as the documents reach the patent office, paralegals allot the documents a file name or number. Soon after this, they upload those documents to the database.
Learning how to create a smooth docketing process can help you:
- Create a smooth docket for your firm from scratch;
- Smoothen a prepared docket;
- In switching your IP docketing system.
Learning about one process can solve three problems and can help maintain a rather smooth docket for the long run.
You can avail of these benefits only by following the below-mentioned steps carefully.
Patent Docketing Process – Complete Anatomy
What happens to the patent applications and other documents as soon as they reach a patent law firm or patent professional organizations? How these firms maintain so many documents?
The answer to these questions is –a robust patent docketing system.
But how does it work? Let’s dive into the patent docketing process.
- A common mailbox: since docketing begins as soon as a patent application reaches in the mailbox of the patent examiner or attorney. As the number of clients and applications increases at the time of patent filing, it becomes difficult to handle multiple documents. Therefore, at this stage creating a common mailbox proves to be a smart idea. You can create client-specific mailboxes or can categories them as per your convenience. This strategy proves to help in the long run for firms with small docketing needs.
- Docketing file/manual: a manual works to help in case of an emergency like system technical issues, or a patent docketer might switch his/her organization. In such cases, a well-maintained patent docketing file/manual supports the docketing process.
- Customize robust docketing software: in today’s fast-paced patent environment it is impossible to singly depend on manual procedures. Hence, it is better to incorporate robust docketing software and customize them as per the requirements. The software in this league includes – IP Manager, Anaqua, Memotech, Docket Trak, Patricia, IPfolio, DIAMS, Alt Legal and Equinox. Moreover, the software will help you create periodic reports on time and a convenient medium for sharing reports with clients.
Also Read: Most Important Points About Patent Docketing Systems
- Build and train a patent docketing team: building a team divides the task and helps in the inefficient working of the docketing system. In a team where every person performs some specified tasks help reduce the burden and ultimately fuels the overall efficiency.
- A supervisor/head: patent docketing team requires a person who knows each and every aspect of the patent docketing process and system. A supervisor/head not only circulates the tasks but also, tracks the common mailboxes, coordinates with multiple teams and patent attorneys. Hence, it harmonizes the work in a more centralized manner.
- Timely audits: not only creating but also a time-to-time audit is way more necessary for an efficient patent docketing process. Since the patent procedure is long and cumbersome, tad-bit of errors are inevitable. “To err is human”, therefore, not only from clients but also, the patent office officials make mistakes. Mismatches can occur in titles, dates, in patent drawings, which might go undetected through an automated system. Hence, manual auditing and cleaning drive is mandatory for a smooth patent docketing process.
How is the patent docketing process important?
For the smooth functioning of the patent process, you cannot ignore this major aspect – patent docketing. Below are the points as to how patent docketing process plays a vital role in the patent lifecycle.
- Without patent docketing, there is no smooth functioning of the response from both the client and the patent office end. Since it helps in timely notifies the clients for timely filing and responding to the patent office (USPTO).
- It is not just a data entry task but the docketer needs in-depth legal and paralegal knowledge and an eye-for-detail to maintain an efficient patent docketing system.
- Multiple checks and audits by patent docketers ensure the credibility of the prepared patent drafts and documents.
- Prevents malpractice lawsuits when a law firm misses a filing date which can lead to patent rejection by the patent office.
Our Patent Docketing Approach
A smooth docketing process catalyzes the patent prosecution process and ultimately helps with a quicker patent grant. Our seamless docket managers and expert professionals ensure a 100% 4-eye quality check for each document. We provide nothing but the best and robust manual patent docketing and support it with state-of-the-art docketing software. At Perfect Patent Docketing, we have an expert pool of professionals and have managed to docket almost 6500+ patents and trademarks worldwide. You can rely on our services, since, client satisfaction is our top priority and for that, we provide multiple iterations and quick turn-around-time. To know more and to claim our services, visit our service page.
Other Related Articles:
What is the Importance of Patent Proofreading?
Tips & Tricks for High-Quality Patent Draft